Fairy tattoos have a nostalgic appeal for those who remember childhood fondly and wish to keep the images of childhood part of their lives on an ongoing basis. In that sense, fairy tattoos are a symbol of our youth.
The fairy is a female mythological figure that has magical powers and originates from Celtic mythology. Usually they are small, beautiful creatures with transparent wings, a green dress and a human appearance.
They live in wonderland and can take people there as well. According to legend, there is little consensus regarding how big fairies were, and how human-like they were in form. The tiny, Tinkerbelle-type fairy is only one interpretation.
The supernatural powers of the fairy include:
- Casting spells
- Foreseeing and influencing the future
The origins of fairies are not very clear, there are several beliefs of what fairies really are:
- A popular belief is that fairies are the dead.
- Another belief is that they are a kind of degraded angel.
- Others view them as an intelligent species, different from angels and humans. They used to live on the British islands, but were forced into hiding.
- Yet another belief is that they were devils.