Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gouache Paintings in Small Scale--launching a new medium

Although I have not and do not plan to print or sell the book "Landscape Painting in Pastels", I have designed a modest little book containing some of my gouache landscapes, which I want to share with you.

It's quite a nice little softcover book. Most of the work shown is landscapes, although I included some of my still life and floral paintings. There are 68 paintings and three step-by-step demonstrations (all landscapes), as well as the text of the article that was in Watercolor Artist magazine in February, called Emergency Inspiration Kit. I've had a lot of paintings shown in magazines, due to my association as a writer for The Pastel Journal, The Artist's Magazine, and Watercolor Artist over the last 12 years, so I was a bit skeptical about the quality that an online publisher such as Blurb could produce. I worked hard to lay it out so that the paintings are life-sized. The book itself is only 7" x 7" in size. The intimacy of this scale is well suited to showcasing these 2.5" x 3.5" paintings.

So let me reiterate that although this is not a big, impressive book, it is a very nice little collection of photographs that pretty accurately represents my paintings, and I'm most pleased with it. I'm quite happy to offer it for sale to anyone who is interested. I kept the price modest, of course, and you can preview every page, so you'll know what you're getting.

I'm so pleased with the quality of this small book that I plan to design one devoted to a retrospective of my pastel landscapes in the near future, but I hope you'll enjoy seeing my most current work in gouache.

I hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment